Monday 29 September 2008

PRODUCT RESEARCH-PINK 'FAMILY PORTRAIT'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kwu8kanyFw Pink-Family portait

This is the link to one of the video's that I am looking at for my product research, since I cannot embed it.

The reason why I have chosen to look at this video is because I think the camera shots are interesting and the use of ambient lighting really sets the narrative.

The music video starts off with a birds eye view of the artist lying in bed, which cuts to numerous shots of her in different positions and a close-up to portray her feelings.

The video has a strong narrative that fits in with the song itself. It is about a young girl coping after her parents getting divorced and wishing for a happy future. A lot of people may be able to relate to the song and more importantly the shots used in the video to demonstrate pysical emotions. The artist is shown to be realistic, and that she is an ordinary person.

The day-to-day scene of the bedroom, kitchen, living room etc. prove popular to a mainstream audience. The originality comes from the use of low and high angle shots when the artist is doing daily activities such as eating breakfast. The varied midshots used throughout and the synchronised editing with the lyrics lets the audience come to terms with the situation at hand.

This music video, I believe has high production values as it is a mainstream artist, but the video is portrayed as an everyday scene in which children may be going through difficult times. This gives the video an ideology and lets the artist relate to a much wider audience.

The genre can be defined as urban pop, however the artist has a variety of songs in a range of genres to suit her multiple personality.

The video has influenced me in making decisions about the construction of my video, in which I will use as many different shots as possible, to get as much as movement as I can.

I believe the editing process will be equally as important, as I will try to get the song to be synchronous with the action taking place.

I am also aware of the fact that the ambient/dark lighting shown may have been created by professional lighting and this will be hard for me to achieve. However I will keep in mind that lighting is vital in a music video, and try to create a similar style that been achieved in this video.

2 comments:

Ms D'Silva-Collins said...

You might like to think carefully about your decision to lip sync as it is rather tricky to achieve. Are there any other techniques you could use to compensate for this?

FATIMA said...

When I said that I will try to get the action to be in sync with the lyrics of the song, I did not imply I was going to get someone to lip sync. I meant to say that I will synchronise the psyical actions of the character in the narrative of the video to relate back to the lyrics.